Enter text

Obtaining Your Federal Firearms License - Title II Weapons and the National Firearms Act

Obtaining Your Federal Firearms License - Title II Weapons and the National Firearms Act

On your journey for you to get your Federal Firearms License, (FFL), you'll undoubtedly stumble upon a multitude of acronyms, confusing definitions, and just plain dense legalese. At first, the job of getting an FFL may seem insurmountable, but it's not. Don't let this be a deterrent. As cryptic because these regulations seem, as soon as you fully familiarize yourself with the terminology and basic ideas behind them, acquiring a license becomes easier. Knowing that, let's talk about the NFA and the kinds of weapons covered by it. Class 3 Transfer

When confronted with firearms, you'll often run across the word NFA firearms or NFA weapons. It is short for the National Firearms Act and is also a law which had been enacted in 1934. Not only does this law call for the mandatory registration of all the Title II weapons, it will require that the excise tax be paid in the manufacture and sale or transfer of these weapons. Another significant element of this law is that it requires that any transfer of title II weapons across state lines is to be reported for the Department of Justice.

So, exactly what are Title II weapons you may ask? Well, within the eyes from the government, there are 2 varieties of weapons--Title I and Title II. Title I weapons are primarilyrifles and shotguns, and handguns. Title II weapons are machine guns, silencers, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, and the every other weapon category, (AOW). They're also known as class 3 weapons. Which is one common misconception regarding Title II weapons. This can be wrong, there is not any class 3 weapon. class 3 means the class 3 SOT, an exclusive class of license that's needed to become a dealer of NFA firearms. FFL Transfer

Now that you know a little bit concerning the NFA, as well as the two kinds of weapons, let's look just a little closer at the Title II weapons which can be included in the NFA.

Machine gun--This is any gun having the ability to discharge several cartridge from a single trigger pull. Included as well in this category would be the parts that define a machine gun.

Short barreled shotgun, (SBS)--This can include any smooth bore shotgun using a barrel length of under 18" or even an overall duration of under 26"

Short barreled rifle, (SBR)--Similar to the Short barreled shotgun, the short barreled rifle is any rifled bore firearm which includes an overall length of under 26", or even an overall barrel length of under 16".

Silencers--Such as any devices or parts that are designed to silence, muffle, or disguise the sound of any portable firearm.

Destructive Device, (DD)--This category encompasses two separate classes. The first covers grenades or explosive devices, poison gas weapons, or bombs and incendiary devices. The second class covers large bore, non-sporting firearms. By definition anything that's not utilized for sporting using a bore over 1/2" falls under this class.

Any other Weapons (AOW)--This category is perfect for parts and weapons that don't fit the other categories. It covers any shoulder fired weapon with a barrel length between 12"-18". These may be either smooth or rifled bore. Additionally, it covers smooth bore pistols, cane guns, and pen guns. The Bulls Eye LLC

This is simply a general overview and should by no means be considered as definitive. If you're unsure or need specific answers, check directly using the Bureau of Alcohol,Tobacco and Firearms, and Explosives. Their technology branch can definitively answer all of your questions.

You are visitor no.

Create your free website at Beep.com
The responsible person for the content of this web site is solely
the webmaster of this website, approachable via this form!